This paper reviews progress made in several areas concerning biomass and associated areas at Cardiff relating to small-scale heat and power systems over the last 20 years, including:
* Efficient utilisation of low calorific value gases;
* The use of cyclone combustors with poor quality solid fuels;
* Pyrolysis processes and wastes;
* Gas centrifuges for fine particulate clean up;
* Small efficient, well controlled, batch fed biomass stoves.
Conclusions are drawn as to the applicability of the various technologies reviewed.