TOTeM 35 – “Co-firing secondary fuels in power generation: from fuel characterization to full scale testing” will take place in Pisa on 23 and 24 September 2010. The meeting is the first TOTeM to be dedicated to discussion of an EU funded project, in this case a current FP7 initiative entitled “Demonstration of Large Scale Biomass Co-Firing and Supply Chain Integration – DEBCO”.
IFRF is participating in the DEBCO project with responsibility for communication. Many of the other sixteen DEBCO partners – electricity utilities, research institutes, industrial companies – are IFRF Members. Under the terms of the project, now in its third year, IFRF will organise two TOTeMs in which project members may disseminate their findings outside of the partner consortium. TOTeM 35 is the first of the two events and will be followed in 2011 by an event in Poland. As is traditional in an IFRF TOTeM, selected sub topics will each be addressed by an invited expert – in this case the key participants will be DEBCO partner representatives flanked by experts external to the project.
The aim of DEBCO is to demonstrate and assess advanced and innovative co-firing techniques capable of achieving high biomass shares. The topics for discussion at TOTeM 35 include:
- Biomass and bio-waste production, supply and quality control;
- Biomass and secondary fuels characterisation;
- Assessment of solid bio-fuels co-firing characteristics in lab and pilot scale;
- Ash related problems: slagging, fouling and corrosion, fine particulate generation;
- Kinetics and phenomenological modelling of different phenomena;
- Full-scale co-firing tests: methodologies and procedures for planning, executing, analysing, reporting
More detail on the DEBCO project and TOTeM 35 can be found in the First Announcement which is available on the IFRF Calendar. DEBCO also has its own website at http://www.debco.eu/DEBCO/. Enquiries about the meeting or expressions of interest in participating in panel discussion and/or in presenting a poster may be addressed to Leo Tognotti.