The first ‘FERIA’ Conference (The European Conference on Fuel and Energy Research and its Applications) will be held on 14th – 16th September 2020 at the University of Nottingham, UK.
The purpose of this conference is to bring together researchers from universities and industry and those interested in the application of the research in industry. Papers which describe the applications of research in fuel and energy characterisation, utilisation and preparation are welcome.
Call for abstracts
Abstracts are desired that describe current academic and industrial research into cleaner fuel and energy research on biomass, waste and fossil fuels and their applications including:
- Improving efficiency and reducing emissions for carbon-based fuel technologies in conventional combustion power generation. This includes optimising the flexible operation of power plant and ash and slagging issues.
- Advanced Power Generation, (APG), based on thermal processes, including enabling technologies and innovative process design for APG.
- Industrial scale combustion, gasification and pyrolysis including issues associated with co-firing and with the combustion of biomass and waste.
- Biogas production and utilisation including landfill gas and anaerobic digestion.
- Decarbonisation: Pre and post-combustion capture, transport, storage and utilisation technologies, including oxyfuel combustion, chemical looping, fuel characterisation and plant diagnostics.
- All emissions issues, including alternative NOx, SOx, particulates and trace element reduction techniques to meet more stringent emissions standards throughout the world.
- Pre-treatment and processing of biomass and waste feedstocks, (torrefaction, washing, etc.), and issues associated with the safe storage, processing, handling and feeding of biomass and waste into process systems.
- Hydrogen: Its potential use as transport fuels and for stationary applications and their issues.
- Energy storage, thermal storage, mechanical storage, cold storage and integration with energy systems.
- Case studies on the challenges facing the users of biomass and waste.
- Carbon based fuel conversion process including, carbonisation and other metallurgical uses, fuel-derived products, fuel preparation and handling, underground coal gasification and coal bed methane, and all other carbon-based fuel conversion processes, including coal to liquids.
- Policy and technoeconomic studies, including legislation towards power from carbon-based fuels, government policy, legislative framework, both UK and international.
Research students are also strongly encouraged to submit papers, attend and give presentations – there is a reduced Conference fee for students.
Authors are to submit their abstracts by 31st January 2020 to the Conference Organiser. Abstracts must conform to the format specified in the website template.
All authors of accepted abstracts are invited to submit, by Friday 30th October 2020 at the latest, a full paper for possible publication in FUEL and for inclusion in a Virtual Special Issue to be published on the Elsevier website for the FUEL journal.
The conference ‘early bird’ fees will be [approximately]:
- £465 Fuel and Energy Research Forum Member – (tferf.org)
- £235 Student of Fuel and Energy Research Forum Member
- £690 Non-member
- £350 Student of non-member
The Conference fee will include full attendance, refreshments, lunches, the Poster Buffet Reception and Dinner and the Conference Dinner. ‘Early bird’ rates are available until 17th July 2020.
All participants are asked to cover their accommodation and travel costs, and details of accommodation options, which will include the University’s Newark Hall of Residence, will be available via the website once registration is open.
Important Dates in 2020
- 31st January: Closing date for abstract submission
- 20th March: Authors informed of acceptance
- 10th April: Provisional programme published
- 17th July: Last date for “early bird” registration fees
- 31st July: Last date for registration by oral and poster presenters
- 30th October: Closing date for full paper submission to FUEL special issue
Full details regarding this event, including sponsorship opportunities can be found in the FERIA Conference announcement or via their website.